Travel theme: Names

I’ve been through the desert on a horse with no name…” just finished playing on the tinny radio next to me, giving me the inspiration for this week’s theme. Names of all sorts, like the fabled Chelsea Hotel in NYC. Just the mention of the name conjures up images of  sex and drugs and rock and roll.

A distinctive logo and a familiar name at a vintage car rally.

vintage car rally, irish veteran and vintage car club, powerscourt estate, picnic, travel, travelogue, ireland, ailsa prideaux-mooney, vintage fiat

The skinny dipping spot made famous by James Joyce’s Ulysses proudly displays its name atop the railings at the entrance.

forty foot, sandycove, dublin, wild swimming, travel, travelogue, ailsa prideaux-mooney

The name of the most iconic road in the US. Get your kicks on Route 66.

route 66, midway point, road trip, the great american road trip, travel, travelogue, ailsa prideaux-mooney

A spooky name in a spooky gravcyard in a very spooky Sleepy Hollow.

Is it just me or do you find train names terribly romantic? The Orient Express, The Caledonian Sleeper, The Trans-Siberian… ooh, I just gave myself a serious case of wanderlust. Not quite as exotic, and actually a little traumatic as it turned out, the Lake Shore Limited from New York to Chicago.

Lake Shore Limited Amtrak USA train journey

Are you ready to name names with your own version of this week’s theme? If you would like to join in  (everyone’s welcome!) here’s what to do:

• Create your own post and title it Travel theme: Names
  • Include a link to this page in your post so others can find it too
  • Watch out for the next travel theme which will come out next weekend
  • Don’t forget to subscribe to keep up to date on the latest weekly travel themes. Sign up via the email subscription link in the sidebar or RSS.

❤ Ailsa

They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, ‘Can he name a kitten?’ – Samuel Butler

Why isn’t there a special name for the tops of your feet? – Lily Tomlin

(Oh and just in case you’re wondering, the header photograph is my favourite name on the sponsor tiles in Pike Place Market in Seattle. )

Advertisements

About ailsapm

Hi there! I’m Ailsa Prideaux-Mooney. I’ve lived in many places, and travelled to many more. I had a lot of fun getting there and being there, wherever there happened to be at the time. I climbed a castle wall in Czesky Krumlov, abseiled down cliffs to go caving in the west of Ireland, slept on the beach in Paros, got chased by a swarm of bees in Vourvourou (ok that wasn’t fun, but it was exciting), learned flower arranging in Tokyo, found myself in the middle of a riot in Seoul, learned to snowboard in Salzburg, got lost in a labyrinth in Budapest and had my ice cream stolen by a gull in Cornwall. And I’m just getting started. If you’ve enjoyed what you’ve read so far, I’d love you to follow my travelogue - wheresmybackpack.com - and remember, anyone who tries to tell you it’s a small world hasn’t tried to see it all.
This entry was posted in Photography, Travel, Weekly Travel Themes and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to Travel theme: Names

1. aj vosse says:

You name it… we do it in the name of LOVE!! 😉
    (Not forgetting a bit of peace, understanding and hope… and of course, loads of FUN! Yep… in the name of FUN!!) 😀

2. Pingback: Travel theme: Names – Ladyleemanila

3. cindy knoke says:

I had to had to going with Neil, “it felt good to get out of the rain…”

4. Pingback: Travel theme: Names – Roaming Urban Gypsy

5. Sue says:

Handy, I have a few shop signs to post, and your challenge is perfect!

6. Pingback: Travel Theme: Names – Field Notes From Over The Hill

7. Pingback: Names | WordsVisual

8. travelrat says:

I am just about to take off for a week, so, instead of posting, herewith a Tale:
    A woman went into a solicitor’s office, and asked about the procedure for changing her name. Quite easy, said the solicitor; people do it all the time.
    ‘What is your name now?’
    ‘Marigold Smellie-Cowe!’
    The solicitor promptly let out uncontrollable guffaws of laughter, and, when he had collected himself, said:
    ‘I do beg your pardon! But, I can quite understand you wanting to change a name like that! To what do you wish to change it?’
    ‘Elizabeth Smellie-Cowe!!’

9. Pingback: Travel theme: Names | Leya

10. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Names in Ireland | Albatz Travel Adventures

11. Pingback: Travel theme: Names | A Day In The Life

12. Pingback: Travel Theme-Names – WoollyMuses

13. Pingback: Travel Theme: Names – Beyond the Brush

14. Pingback: The Spruce Goose: The Biggest Airplane Ever Built | Jaspa's Journal

15. Jaspa says:

The Hughes Flying Boat, the biggest airplane ever built, has gone by many names and designation, Ailsa, but the most famous is the Spruce Goose: http://bit.ly/JJ-SG

16. Pingback: Travel Theme: Names – bushboys world

17. bushboy says:

Hi Ailsa I really enjoyed making this post as it brought back so many memories.
    Here is my contribution

18. Pingback: Names – Characters You’ll Meet… | Ouch!! My back hurts!!

19. Pingback: travel theme: names | The question is not what you look at, but what you see - Thoreau

20. Pingback: Travel theme: Names – Cee's Photography

21. Cee Neuner says:

Great photos for your topic.
    Here is my entry. I went with people’s names.

22. Pingback: Travel theme: Names – Figments of a DuTchess

23. Through names we are recognized. Another great theme, Ailsa. And that headstone! Ooooh that must have been an interesting place to discover.
    My name is in pink. Kind of. 😉 https://figmentsofadutchess.com/2017/10/13/travel-theme-names/

24. Pingback: Travel Theme: Names – gwh photos

25. Pingback: Travel theme: Names – Candy Girl | Netdancer's Musings

26. Pingback: Travel Theme – Names | Mama Cormier

27. Pingback: Travel Theme: Names | lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown

28. lifelessons says:

Great and varied names in your post! Here are the “names” in my world at the moment: https://judydykstrabrown.com/2017/10/14/travel-theme-names/

29. Pingback: Travel Theme: Calm | Musin' With Susan